A study by the World Health Organization (WHO), states that the number of people living with diabetes has nearly quadrupled since 1980 to 422 million adults, with most living in developing countries and because of this WHO marked world health day 7 April by calling for action on diabetes. As the world shines light on world health issues, with diabetes being the main focus, Hellofood Uganda with the help from resolution insurance have shared the basic concepts in diabetes, knowing very well that the disease has major health and socioeconomic impacts especially and they would like to increase on its awareness, this is to empower everyone with information to enhance self-care, alongside healthy lifestyles.
Diabetes results when the body makes too little insulin or does not use insulin properly, allowing sugar levels to build up in the blood stream.
1) Exercise regularly.
2) Eat a balanced, healthy diet.
3) Maintain healthy weight.
4) Limit takeaway and processed foods. ‘
5) Limit your alcohol intake, and quit smoking.
6) Control your blood pressure.
7) See your doctor for regular check-ups.
The three core Interventional Measures in Diabetes
Exercise Diet Drugs
Be active a total of 30 minutes most days. Ask your doctor what activities are best for you. Exercise has the following benefits
1) Weight loss
2) Improves cholesterol and lowers Blood Pressure
3) Maintains good health of heart and blood vessels
4) Muscle cells are more sensitive to insulin and therefore control blood sugar levels and provide energy for muscles
Follow the healthy eating plan that you and your doctor or dietitian have worked out.
Take your medicines as directed.
Other Important Measures in Diabetes.
1) Check your feet regularly for, blisters, sores, swelling, redness, or sore toenails
2) Control your blood pressure and cholesterol
3) Don’t smoke